Photo Restoration: How to fix old Photos is Photoshop 2022 [Video]
Photo restoration services are our most extensive level of digital repair, and we are acknowledged experts in photo restoration photoshop.
Back in the day, people didn’t have the luxury of saving all their pictures onto memory cards and backing them with a computer. In those days, you had to urge the roll of film developed, have the photos printed, and tuck them away into photo albums.
Unfortunately, these printed images have a limited lifespan because the quality of the photo paper and ink used wasn’t as good as what we use now. Because the years went by, deterioration would set in, leaving us with photo albums and boxes crammed with old, damaged photos with faded ink, tattered edges, and even some scratches and stains here and there.
Restoring an old photo isn’t all that tough. You’ve to know the thanks for doing the photo restoration photoshop and retouching!
Old Photo Restoration Services Photoshop Tutorial (7 Process Steps)
Digitize your old Image.
The first step is to scan the Image to urge a digital copy. You’ll use a daily scanner, take a photograph employing a camera, or use a smartphone scanner app.
Whichever method you use, confirm that it’ll yield an outsized, high-quality copy of the Image to form it easier to figure.
Open the photo in Adobe Photoshop.
Next, open the digital photo in Photoshop. Then create a second copy of the photo. You’ll want to stay a clever copy for reference, so you will be performing on altering the second copy.
How to create a Secondary copy of a photo in Adobe Photoshop:
- Select a layer within the Layers panel.
- Click on the Duplicate Layer option from the Layers menu or Layers panel menu.
- Give your layer a name, and click on OK.
Don’t forget to pick the eye icon on your original layer’s left side before performing on your Image. Clicking the icon hides the layer from the panel.
Crop, straighten or rotate the photo.
Before making any changes, confirm you’re working with a clean, oriented photo.
You’ll crop everything out if you find any unwanted white space (or any space that should not be there) around the edges.
How to crop your photo:
- Select the Crop icon on the toolbox (on the left side of Photoshop’s default workspace).
- Draw a replacement cropping area or drag the sides of the crop box to the specified positions.
- Click on (Windows) or Return (Mac OS) to crop the photo.
Also, You can use the Crop menu to keep your photo’s aspect ratios proportional, but as long as you’re printing your old photo.
How to straighten a crooked photo:
- Select the Crop icon, then click the Straighten icon on the toolbar.
- Drag a line alongside horizontal or vertical elements within the Image.
- Let go of the mouse so that adobe Photoshop can rotate your photo and crop its uneven edges.
- Once you’re satisfied, press Enter. Adobe Photoshop also will remove the surplus image if you’ve enabled the Delete Cropped Pixels checkbox.
Rotate your photo:
Adobe Photoshop CC allows you to rotate your Image through its photo Rotation setting or the Edit menu’s transform function.
To rotate your photo using the Image Rotation option:
- Click on Image within the taskbar.
- Click on the Image Rotation.
- Select your preferred rotation.
Also, rotate your Image using the Edit menu:
- Click on your Image to choose it.
- Select the Edit menu, then choose Transform.
- Choose your preferred rotation.
Review your Image for any corrections you would like to form.
Assessing the Image, you’re performing on will help you choose the adjustments or corrections you would like to form. Your required changes will depend upon your photo’s current condition.
Make the required adjustments to your Image.
There are two ways to try this step in Photoshop: adjusting your Image’s color and fixing its damaged spots.
Make color correction adjustments.
Old images are usually faded, but if you want to enhance the photo’s tone, color, contrast, and vibrancy, Photoshop can do these, too.
If you decide on the Image from the taskbar, you will see a menu that will offer you everything you would like for a few basic color corrections. Under Adjustments, you will see three options: Auto Tone, Auto Contrast, and Auto Color. Try these out and see if these automatic corrections deliver your required effect. If not, you’ll make these corrections.
It’s a good idea to find out how to read the histogram so that you’ll make accurate adjustments. From there, select Adjustments and use the various functions under this menu option. There are basic adjustments like Brightness, Contrast, Exposure, and Vibrance, or more in-depth change tools like Curves and Levels.
Depending on your photo’s condition, the simplest thing to try is fiddle with these different change tools to urge the proper tone, color, and contrast.
If your image features a color cast, here are a couple of steps to follow to fix the effect:
- First, highlight your duplicate layer, then click on the change layers icon under the Layers panel.
- Choose Levels from the change layer options.
- Click the dedicated tab to change your photo’s RGB (red, green, and blue) levels. An RGB menu will appear.
- Select any color options, then bring the white and black sliders to the histogram’s upward line.
- Click on the Layers panel to exit.
- Highlight your duplicate layer and change the layer, then right-click on the world and choose Merge Layers to mix both layers.
Fix the damaged spots.
This part is where it gets tricky—you’ll need an eye fixed for detail and a lot of patience! If there are any dust, stains, and other unwanted marks on your photo, you’ll use a couple of spot correction Photoshop tools: the Spot Healing Brush, the Patch Tool, and, thus, the Clone Stamp tool.
How to Use the Spot Healing Brush tool in Adobe Photoshop
- First, click on the Spot Healing Brush icon (the one that appears as sort of a band-aid) on the toolbox.
- Choose your required brush size within the options bar.
- After that, Choose between the Proximity Match, Create Texture, or Content-Aware Type options. Any of those options should work for what you’re trying to realize.
- Select the spot you want to repair, click, and drag the brush tool over imperfections during a larger area.
- Select the Patch Tool.
- Select the area you want to repair by dragging, then select Source within the options bar. You’ll also select your sample area by dragging and selecting the Destination option.
- Set your selection using the Shift-drag, Alt-drag/Option-drag, or Alt-drag/Option-drag combinations.
- Select Transparent if you would like to extract a transparent texture from your sample area or deselect it to place the sample area over the target.
- Try to adjust the Diffusion Slider to control how the pasted region adapts to its surroundings.
- Drag the pointer inside your selection, then place it in your sample or patch area.
Clone Stamp tool:
- Select the Clone Stamp icon within the toolbox.
- Adjust the brush tool size to the corresponding size you would like. Use the choices bar to line your brush’s blending mode, opacity, and flow.
- Then Set the Aligned or Sample options for specific pixel alignment and layer sampling.
- Go to your keyboard and select these options Alt+Click or Option+Click a clean spot that you want to “clone.”
- Select or drag the cursor around the damaged area to “paint” over it with the cloned pixels from your sampling point.
Adobe Photoshop also features Burn and Dodge tools that you can use to revive image detail. The old photo restoration photoshop techniques we mentioned will make areas in your photo lighter or darker, counting on what proportion you’ve edited.
How to use the Burn Tool or Dodge Tool in Adobe Photoshop:
- Choose any of those tools.
- Select a brush tip and set brush options within the options bar.
- Select any later Range options: Mid tones, Shadows, or Highlights.
- Set your chosen exposure for the Burn tool or Dodge tool.
- Turn your brush into an airbrush by clicking the airbrush icon or on the Airbrush tool within the Brush panel.
- If you want less shadow and highlight clipping, click on the Protect Tones tools.
- If you want to lighten or darken the Image, drag the brush over to that part of the image.
Concentrating as close as possible on the spot you would like to photo restoration services for the most accurate results is vital. Photo restoration services need to be accurate; otherwise, images won’t look perfectly refined.
Apply a filter to scale back the Noise
How to reduce Noise in your Image:
- Click on Filter within the taskbar.
- Select the Convert to Smart Filters option.
- After that, click on Noise, then select Dust & Scratches.
- Using the pop-up window, increase the Radius pixels and Threshold levels in increments to understand the required effect. But, look out not to overdo it to avoid losing an excessive amount of detail.
- Click OK.
- Go back to Filter, click on Noise, then select Reduce Noise.
- Adjust the settings within the pop-up window and concentrate on the Preview box to visualize each adjustment’s effect.
Save the restored Image.
When you’re proud of the Image, delete the unedited layer (the original reference layer) or right-click the edited layer and choose to Flatten photo (make sure that your edited layer is on top). Then, follow the steps below to save lots of your photos. Photo restoration services are hard to pull off by photoshop specialists.
- Click File on the taskbar, then choose Save As.
- Click on your preferred file format from the Format menu.
- Specify your filename and location.
- Click on your preferred saving option within the Save As panel.
- Select the Save button to save lots of your restored photos.
Clipping path specialists restore your damaged photos, including torn photo restoration services, faded old photo restoration photoshop, and water-damaged photo restoration. Receive a digital download of your newly restored photo, archival prints, or a personalized photo frame
Leave a Replay
Clipping Path Specialists is a team of more than 300 image-editing experts and graphic designers who provide high quality Clipping path, Background removal, Advanced Photoshop mask, Shadow effect, Retouching/Airbrushing, Image optimization for E-commerce, Raster to vector conversion and other Photoshop services.
Sign up for our Newsletter
Don’t miss new updates on your email